Mother’s day is coming up for the rest of America, but for me and my family, Mom deserves a ton of additional recognition on Tax Day. As an accounting wiz and tax guru, she busts her chops every March to make sure we have our returns locked and loaded by April 1st, so they can sit idly under a stack of books for two weeks when we frantically realize we should really get those signed and drop them in the mail. And every Tax Day, that 5 minutes–opening to her convenient stickies, signing on the line, enclosing the check she’s already written, and sealing the carefully attached, addressed, and stamped manila envelopes–is all we ever have to do. Mom prepares our taxes in addition to her painfully taxing (hah! Pun! Marg for me 😛 ) career as a municipality accountant, and no amount of credit is ever sufficient to thank her.
This year, instead of my normal “thank-you” card, I want to send her something special. Hopefully, this post will come in handy to people who stumble upon it near Mother’s Day next month. Here’s the B-Google Challenge: One margarita for the 3 best gift submitters. (Submitters meaning one marg max per submitter.) Submissions need to be made by Friday, April 17th by noon. If you come up with something after that, post it anyway to help Mother’s Day shoppers! “Best” will be determined by meeting as many of the following criteria as possible:
1) Uniqueness. This isn’t a Macy’s ad: I’m not gonna get my mom a necklace or picture frame. Something hand-made or a little different is the best way to go. These margs ain’t free 😉
2) Monies. Mom’s getting me about $600 net from Uncle Sam. I need it to pay off margarita debts. I’d like to get her something ~$50; the cheaper the better without it turning into something stupid.
3) MY Mom’s Likes: Mom likes margaritas (are you surprised?), wine (she has a property she’s building in Napa), the color turquoise, Stanford University sports, and Walk for a Cure. For the latter, my own top idea is donating $50 in her name, so that won’t award you a marg. Otherwise, anything goes.
4) ALL Moms’ Likes: I’d love to get some unique ideas other people could use for Mother’s Day. Ex: things involving showing off kids and/or personal relaxation.
5) Mailability: Something that can be sent home from college or can be directly delivered with a thank-you message.